Saturday, October 29, 2011

Largest pieces of slate yet

Today I hauled in a piece of slate that was 80% in the ground that was 77cm long on the flat surface and about 50cm wide. Although slate is very hard, some of it in that area had a tendency to crumble a little bit on the sides. Another piece was over 60cm long. I just collect this when I have time. Many of the pieces are 10-20cm. I'll worry about chiseling them later to make them useful. We are nowhere near having enough slate to do a whole building and garage, but definitely the garage if the slate doesn't crumble into little pieces. If we could successfully split layers, some of the big thick pieces will go a long way.

Overall I have about a shed full of bottles, which is something like 4,000-5,000. Only about 5-7% are cans, since no soft drink sodas are canned in Mongolia, though I started seeing more beer cans. I feel the amount is enough to do the whole main building easily, but I plan to make a bottle / dirt / cement wall around the property, so that wall could demand quite a lot of bottles. In our small micro ger district we must have a large amount of alcoholics. I walked only about 200 meters in an alley this afternoon and picked up maybe 40 bottles, not to mention what I got in the morning.

I am debating about what third greenhouse design to do. I want to do the solar toilet. That typically needs to be on the south face, but on the 2nd greenhouse glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment